Tuesday, November 17, 2009

1:26 AM: N. Colorado 15, Hawaii 12

Early Thoughts on Northern Colorado

Pros:
- They run a pressing defense, which is always fun to watch, win or lose
- They are obviously just so incredibly excited for the chance to go to Hawaii that when ESPN said, "And your game starts at 4AM ET," they didn't even care. They were already on the plane

Cons:
- When I was in college, Northern Colorado was a Division II school. I'm pretty sure they knocked St. Cloud State out of the D2 playoffs one year. And now they're a D-I program, and it's possible they'll hold their own in a decent conference. And there's always a chance they'll get hot in the conference tournament and play their way into the big dance. Why is this a con? Allow me a short rant:

I hate you, St. Cloud State University. I hate you so much. Every team we played against when I went to school there is now Division 1. Little, worthless schools from godforsaken North Dakota, South Dakota, and Northern Colorado. Are there even cities in Northern Colorado? Their campus may be an abandoned mine for all I know. Northern Colorado! We have fifteen thousand students! Our national reputation is of a sub-arctic diploma factory with an ugly history of racism!!! That's what we're known for (well, that, and the actor who played MacGyver).

So why can't we go D-I?!? Why can't we? Why not allow me that one glimmering moment where we sneak into the NCAA tournament as a 16 seed, come out of the gate hot, hit a couple threes, and lead North Carolina 8-5 before they eventually destroy us by 40? Why not be able to tell people, "Yeah, my alma mater is playing on ESPN today. Okay, the game is on at 4 AM, but so what?"

I have never once been proud of you, St. Cloud State. And I just don't see how I ever will. Unless you go D-I in basketball. Then I will be proud of you once every ten years or so. And I will spend the rest of the time just telling people I went to school "in Minnesota."

So ... that kind of baggage makes it hard for me to root for Northern Colorado. I am so ... so ... so jealous of them.

4 comments:

  1. i couldn't agree with this post more...

    SCSU could be in one of those small conferences, half of the former NCC went D-1 anyway. We're D1 for hockey already, and we could be D-1 FCS (former 1-AA) for football.

    Why can't this get done? I hate you St. Cloud State.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes, I've spent the past 30 minutes researching the enrollment counts of schools in the Missouri Valley Conference, Great West Conference, The Summit League and a few other D-II conferences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've illustrated the only legitimate use of the phrase "in _____" when you are asked what school you went to.

    Normally, this answer is reserved for cock holsters who went to a school they consider really good, but then answer something like "in Palo Alto" or "in New Haven." They claim it's because they don't want to appear arrogant, but someone fucking asked you where you went to school! It isn't arrogant to simply give the correct answer when asked a specific factual question. What is arrogant, however, is to assume that the name of your school is so impressive that merely stating you went there will make the hearer assume you are arrogant.

    (Btw, how much must it chap the ass of Princeston alums that they can't say "in Princeston" without giving away the school. I guess they'll always have "in New Jersey.") My response to this is to research the worst possible school near there and then ask if that's the one they went to. "'In New Jersey' huh? Did you go to Rutgers?" "Oh, of course, University of New Haven! Great school."

    ReplyDelete
  4. And just for the sake of underlying how much st. cloud state blows, Macgyver didn't even graduate.

    It's basically like if the Florida Marlins retired Mike Pizza's jersey number for the five days he spent there.

    But the sad thing is, people act like Richard Dean Anderson attending SCSU for a semester was a big deal!

    ReplyDelete