Tuesday, November 17, 2009

10:25 AM: Siena 36, Northeastern 29

Siena's best player, Edwin Ubiles, has 17 of their 26 points. His name is pronounced like "Youkilis," only with a "B" instead of a "P." And yet the Siena crowd does not see it necessary to chant "YOOB!!!" whenever he scores. You see, Red Sox fans? There's always an alternative to being annoying.

Siena takes the lead for the first time since 2-0, and the announcers fall all over themselves singing the praises of Ryan Rossiter, currently the only white guy on the court. So gritty, so scrappy! Which reminds me ... I cannot wait to hate Luke Harangody again this year. Thanks for coming back to school, Luke! Hope Notre Dame struggles to finish .500 again this year. Enjoy playing pro ball in Russia next year.

Psychoanalyis Sidenote: Why do I love to hate overachieving unathletic white guys? I mean, I AM an unathletic white guy, but I certainly don't feel any "one of us!" empathy toward Harangody ... or Spencer Hawes ... or Josh McRoberts ... or any one of a million other guys. Am I jealous that it's not me out there lumbering up and down the court? Maybe.

6 comments:

  1. I have so much emotionally invested in Harangoody after I saw him destroy some crappy Big East school during his freshmen year. SInce then I convinced myself that Harangoody's different from Bryant Reeves, he is a NBA caliber player. Needless to say, I picked ND to go too far in the Tournament in 08 and 07. They wrecked my 2009 NIT bracket as well. I'm sure he's different this year. I'm prediciting ND in the sweet sixteen on the back of big Luke. I'll never learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also should be excited that you can win a bet with Brett during next years draft when the Kings select Harrangody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is absolutely zero chance he's better than Bryant Reeves. Big Country was actually pretty good. (If Deadspin had been around in the mid 90s, they had been peppering us with witty 'have they mentioned Big Country is from Gans, OK, population 350 yet' jokes. I'm really souring on Deadspin lately.) He not only was a legit NBA player, but a legit starting center. In his age 24 season of 97-98, he averaged 16 a game with a 17 PER and 52% shooting. Then he suffered an injury and was never the same, retiring at age 27.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what you are saying is that you are going to end up hating most of the UCLA team this year? Wait you said overacheiving. Nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harangody's haircut is also demonstrably worse than Reeves'. At least Reeves went for the straight crew cut/flattop. Harangody starts with that, but then grows it out slightly AND combs the front part of it forward so that it's parallel to the ground. Just an abomination. To me, this says one of three things: 1) it's just so ridiculously easy to get ass on a college campus that you don't even need to try, 2) the ass available on the Notre Dame campus isn't worth trying for, 3) he's one of those sorry 'stay together with his HS girlfriend while in college' types. (We all know we're not responsible for any stylistic decisions made in high school.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harangody also has red hair. That puts him in the hate column right there.

    ReplyDelete